Saturday, December 13, 2008

How To Wash Your Hair The Right Way

I've been getting tons of feed back and questions so thanks everyone! I thought I would answer a question one day at a time.

Today's question: Is there a right way to wash your hair?

Answer: Well, actually there is, and it's very important. I'll list it in a step by step way so it's easy to follow.

1). Start off using warm water to open up your cuticles (never use too hot of water, that is what can dry out your scalp) and make sure your hair is completely saturated with water before applying shampoo.

2). The amount of shampoo you use will depend on the length of your hair. If you have long hair use about a tablespoon. If you have shorter hair than about a dime size. You can eye ball it pretty good.

3). The main purpose of shampoo is to clean your scalp. So you really don't need to worry about lathering your ends with shampoo, it can actually dry out your ends believe it or not. So really just focus on scrubbing your scalp.

4). Then rinse the shampoo out well. Really well.

5). Apply the conditioner to mostly your ends and around your hairline. These areas are the most damaged and dry and need the most attention. Leave the conditioner on while you are doing other things in the shower so it really has time penetrate into your hair. If you want to really get into it you can use a wide tooth comb and comb through your hair while the conditioner is in it. But really focusing on the main areas of your ends and hairline will be just fine.

6). Rinse the conditioner out using cool water. Cool water closes your cuticles and adds shine. And we all want that! Make sure to really rinse well and get all the conditioner out. If you leave any in, it will end up making your hair look dull, matted, and greasy.

7). Blot your hair with a towel. Don't rub your hair dry. This can cause your cuticles to catch on the fibers of the towel and make them more damaged.

So there you have it! Stay tuned for my next post on hair products for curling and straightening.

<3 Stef

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

This is such a good idea :) I think the water I use to wash my hair is too hot. I really like HOT water, so it's good to know I need to tone it down a bit :)

karla said...

I'm so glad you started this blog, Stef (and so is Jeff - he learned a lot about how to properly shampoo and condition his hair from this post!). I feel so lucky to have an amazing hair expert as my friend to give me a personal counseling session before every major hair decision. :) And PS - my hair turned out great! Thanks for your help!

Jason & Natashia McLean Family said...

I remember when we did that beauty night and you talked about this in the ward. Thanks for your tips.