Monday, December 8, 2008

Beware of Dry Hair!

Winter is coming, and we all know what that means -- frizzy, "staticky" hair and dry, itchy scalp.

Primary causes of Dryness:
  • Heat -- blow dryer, flat iron, curling iron, etc.
  • Overwashing -- you know that extra dry feeling you get sometimes?
  • Bleach/Color
I know what you're thinking -- we can't stop washing our hair, and we're not about to put our sacred heat styling tools away for the winter. And you probably have family pictures coming up which means you'll have to get your roots touched up.

We can't avoid the causes of dryness all together.

But here are a few helpful tips to get us through the cold months:
  • Towel- or air-dry your hair. And if you must use a curling or flat iron, apply an extra moisturizing product (or a heat seal) to your hair before and/or after use.
  • Use heat appliances with ceramic plates (instead of metal). Set the temperature gauge to the lowest temperature that still gets the result that you want.
  • Wash your hair every other day so your scalp's natural oils have time to rebuild.
  • Avoid bleach as much as you can. If you must color your hair, try going dark! It's easier on your hair.
  • For all of you "must bleach" girls, use extra moisturizing products like deep conditioners (maybe once a week) and leave-in conditioners (daily if necessary).
Just a side-note, be careful not to use too much product, or you run the risk of looking like a greaseball :)

How's that for my first post? I hope those tips help us all out a little bit this season. I'll answer any questions in a follow-up post so leave any questions you have about winter dryness.

<3 Stef

5 comments:

Meliss said...

So good! I also loved your tip at enrichment about only shampooing the rim of your head and conditioning the ends. I've done that ever since. And I tried to use cooler water in the shower but now it's too cold for me to do in the winter!

Anonymous said...

Awesome Stef. Here's a question. I find that when I air-dry my hair, which I do often, I don't get as much volume as I do if I dry it with a hair blower. Anything to solve that?
(By the way, I'm clicking on your advertisements like crazy.)

AnnEE said...

Ok, I agree with Mindy. When I airdry my hair, it's super soft, but then totally mangy and not cute. Please, expound on this whole shampooing the rim and conditioning the ends...I'm very interested!

Nick and Amera said...

HOLY PROFESSIONAL!! That was like right out of a magazine!! That was awesome Stef! I cant beleive how awesome you are at hair and now you dont even work with me anymore! You are awesome! I love that new blog! I cant believe how seriously awesome that was to read! Good job!!

Emily said...

Can you give me some product tips? I have wavy hair that used to be pretty curly before pregnancy hormones straightened it out a bit. I can still get some curl out of it with a diffuser, but I haven't found a product that I like to help it curl. And on the opposite end, I haven't found a product I like for when I want to help it blow out straight. Any tips?