Friday, January 23, 2009

Don't Forget To Get a Trim!

Hair Myth: Growing out your hair means not getting it cut.

Well, I'm sorry to say that statement is not true. Working as a hairdresser I can't even tell you how many times I've heard someone say that to me. Which is why I thought I could spread a little more light on the subject for us all!

On average our hair grows about half an inch a month. Some grow a little faster, and some a little slower. But that is about the average.
When hair starts to get damaged or have split ends, it starts from the bottom and works its way up the shaft. Which is why it's so important to keep up on cutting those nasty split ends off.
If you have short hair it will stay in style for about four weeks at the maximum before you will need a trim.
If you have medium length hair you should get it trimmed every five weeks.
For long hair, every six weeks.
Now, keep in mind that these are just averages. Depending on the health of your hair you will need to go in for a trim more often or less.
Even if you have decided to grow your hair long you will still need a trim about every eight weeks or so. Don't freak out! You don't have to get a lot cut off. Just teeny tiny, enough for your split ends to be gone so that it doesn't start working it's way up your hair shaft and making the rest of your lovely locks look damaged.

So I hope these simple hair cutting tips will help you out!

And again, feel free to ask questions.

<3 Stef

2 comments:

Chelsea and Cody said...

You are BACK! YES! I have missed these posts! They remind me of things that I have forgotten...like how I need a trim! hehe!

Emily said...

alright, i've got a question. what is considered a "good" tip from the stylist's point of view? i never know if i'm being too cheap (or over tipping).